8 centuries of love
The wine of Sauternes, praised even in the XIIth century by Richard the Lion Heart, was regarded, by the gourmets of bygone eras, as the finest of the great white wines.
In 1855, the quality of the wines of Sauternes was sanctioned by the Imperial Classification which, at that time united the Crus of Sauternes and of Médoc.
The Sauternes region.
The Sauternais lies on the left bank of the Garonne, 40km up-river from Bordeaux. It is endowed with a soil which is made up of strata of silica, chalk and gravel. These strata, deposited with the passing of time, give to the wine its finesse, strength and lusciousness. This region, dotted with castles and ancient stately-homes is traversed by the Ciron. The Ciron is tributary of the Garonne and gives the region a micro-climate with morning mists in autumn, which lift quickly to let the warm sun through to perfect the maturation of the harvest.
The appellation Sauternes may be used in the following 5 communes: Bommes, Fargues, Preignac, Sauternes and Barsac, the last one may also use its own appellation.